Partner analytics reports
DigitalNZ content partners can access detailed information about how people are viewing and interacting with their metadata using a custom Google Analytics report. These reports display statistics about how people search and view content on DigitalNZ.org. The report data does not include other uses of the API including custom DigitalNZ search widgets embedded on websites and other web applications (e.g. search.digitalnz.org, National Library Beta, Matapihi).
This is a quick start guide for experienced Google Analytics users. See below for more detailed instructions.
- Contact DigitalNZ and let us know you would like to view the partner analytics report. You will need to supply us with with a Google Analytics account.
- Login to your Google account.
- Follow the directions in the email you have been sent by DigitalNZ.
- Scroll to the bottom of the linked page and press the "Save" button.
- Select the Custom Reporting tab of the DigitalNZ Partners account and click the "Partner Breakdown" overview.
How do I access the DigitalNZ Google Analytics reports?
DigitalNZ tracks website traffic with Google Analytics. Accessing our analytics report requires an email that is registered in Google accounts. The easiest way to do this is to create a Google Account. If you already have a Google Account (e.g. you have a Gmail address), you can skip this step.
Send an email to us ( email@example.com ) letting us know that you would like to view the partner metadata reports. Please include an email address registered to a Google account in your message. We need this address in order to provide you access.
We will send you an invitation email that contains a link to our custom partner report. Clicking the link will open a Google Analytics custom report setup page.
- If you already use Google Analytics to monitor traffic on other websites, you will need to specify that this report is for the DigitalNZ Partners profile. Select DigitalNZ Partners from the Additional Profiles drop-down menu (see the image below).
- Scroll to the bottom of the set-up menu and click "Save". See the image below for clarification.
- If you use Google Analytics to track other websites, you will find that the DigitalNZ Partner report will have also been added to your default account. Unfortunately, there is no easy way to prevent this from happening. However, you can safely remove the DigitalNZ Partner report from your default account profile and just view it on your DigitalNZ Partners profile. (This probably sounds more confusing than it actually is.)
You only need to save the custom report once.
Refer to the image below to help you view the analytics report.
- Select the DigitalNZ Partners website profile from the drop-down account menu. You will only need to do this if you monitor other sites with Google Analytics.
- Click the Custom Reporting tab.
- Select Partner Breakdown from the Custom Reports list.
How do I view general page view statistics?
The partner breakdown report shows several views of the DigitalNZ data. The Item Page Visits tab summarises the number of page-views, visits and visitors each collection has received over a specified period.
- To access this view, select the Item Page Visits tab.
- Click the date range to open a calendar and specify the time period you would like to view statistics for.
- Scroll down to the table of collection names. Click the name of your collection(s) to drill into the table and get more detail. You can increase the number of rows displayed by selecting a new value from the Show rows pull-down menu located at the base of the table.
How do I view social media statistics?
The DigitalNZ website tracks when someone makes a Facebook comment on an item page or whenever a person uses the Twitter Tweet, Google +1 or Facebook Like buttons. Please note, these statistics do not record social media interactions with the website that take place outside the website (e.g. someone tweets a link to a DigitalNZ record from the TweetDeck web client).
- Select the Social Media tab from the Partner Breakdown table.
- Use the calendar to select your date range of interest.
- Click on a collection name to see specific types of social media interaction.